I've been slacking on the art projects for Sam. We took an art class in the Fall and decided not to do it again this winter/spring (too much going on). I think while enrolled in the art class I kind of felt like, "Oh, he's doing art at art."...and then I got lazy...and then...well, we just haven't been doing much art. I've been trying to at least get the crayons or colored pencils or markers out with a blank piece of paper each day. Remembering back to Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art by Susan Striker and the value of just scribbling and daily "writing"...oh, yeah...I never finished that book either.A couple of weeks ago during one of his drawing/writing/scribbling sessions, Sam said "CIRCLE!" When I went to look at his paper, he had drawn a circle! I was blown away! He's been able to identify a circle for a quite a while but this was the first circle he deliberately drew, and actually the first thing he's drawn and named something...and accurately! I make a conscious effort to not draw things for him, nor do "label" his drawings for him (ie. "Oh, that looks like a ____.")...also from Young At Art. And I definitely don't ask him to try to draw things. The only thing I do is acknowledge his lines, loops, dots, etc. and tell him how great they look. So I've done zero, zilch, nothing, to encourage this drawing of a circle...or perhaps precisely what I've done by allowing him to explore drawing freely has encouraged the drawing of circles (just like the book explains). I think this is why I was so beside myself when he did it...it was completely on his own. I then pulled out my Young At Art book to see if this skill is developmentally appropriate...as lazy as I've been with making time for drawing, and the fact that I've not been trying to teach him to draw a circle, made me think he was probably a little behind on this skill. However, I learned that circles are actually the first shape that kids draw and they typically do this at 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 years old...right on target! It's amazing to watch a little person's brain developing.
From Young At Art:
After a child achieves proficiency with lines, he or she can be expected to draw shapes in this progression of readiness:
CIRCLES:
Ages 2 1/2 - 3 1/2
SQUARES:
Ages 4 1/2 - 5 1/2
TRIANGLES:
Ages 5 1/2 - 6 1/2
DIAMONDS:
Ages 6 1/2 - 7 1/2
(I know many of you reading this probably have kids that are already doing these things before the ages she lists, but now you know what little smarty pants you have!)
And I had to throw this picture in...check out that little hand holding that crayon correctly...that's thanks to our Play Wisely coach, Patty!
2 comments:
I'm impressed by how well he holds that crayon! I still hold my pencil/pens/crayons wrong. I could have used your play wisely teacher!
He definitely had some help with that crayon holding...obviously not natural for him yet...if I help him place it in his hand correctly, he'll draw like that for a short time but then switches back to a full fist hold. But he loves Coach Patty and will try anything she shows him. ;)
Post a Comment