THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Public Restroom, Round 1

Yesterday I had to take Sam with me to the doctor. As we were waiting to get my blood drawn, I noticed a restroom right next to us...it was small...only big enough for the toilet and sink...not even big enough for a larger person to get in it and comfortably close the door, and definitely not big enough for two people...you have a visual yet? It wasn't a minute before Sam was curiously ogling the restroom. And then, "Mommy, I need go pee pee." I responded with a "What?", "You need to go pee pee?!?!?" as I was wondering how to handle this. (He's still in his diapers...I'm dragging my feet here people!) I quickly decided telling him no, because he was in a diaper, was the wrong thing to do no matter how awkward it would be dealing with the diaper in our first (very tight) public restroom experience.
So, in we went.
Got the diaper off (while standing)...lift him up on the toilet...Sam's complaining because I'm pulling his arm out of it's socket trying to keep him from falling in and/or touching the toilet...I decide I can't keep him from touching the toilet...he puts his hands down to hold himself up...I notice if he does pee it's either going to hit the wall (that's only 12 inches from us) or go right in his pants depending on the strength of the steam...so we start pointing it down...and then..."Mommy, my want to stand up go pee pee." Oh geez! Really!?!?! Why now? I decide it's not the time or place for that lesson and gently tell him we can't do that right now and he has to sit down to go pee pee...and then..."All done!" Seriously, all that for nothing. Although I guess we both did get a lesson in "the big potty". Oh, and in case you're wondering, the diaper went back on while standing up surprisingly well.
So, moms of boys...Advice? How do you do it when you're not in the comforts of your own home on the little potty? I think I may go buy one of those foldable, portable, potty seats today.

Oh, and yes, we're losing the diapers very soon...just trying to pick the best day...The weekend, so daddy's home to join me in the experience of the first couple of days?...or not...it might be better he doesn't know about everything Sam pees on...This Saturday we start a new gymnastics class and Sunday we have a special event to attend...I'm trying to plan it around two or three weeks we have nothing out of the ordinary (advice from Stress Free Potty Training)...Weekday?...which one?...Hmmm...still trying to work all this out.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

public potty, ooooh yuck!
hmm. i think I would go for the weekend when daddy is home to help!

David and Melody said...

I'm not there yet, but my step sister used to have a little potty in the back of her car with grocery bags in it to catch the pee. I used to think she was weird, but now...it's kind of ingenious.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. I love how things that seem like nothing can be massive undertakings when they involve toddlers. Good luck with losing the diapers...I am not even going to think about PT until this summer, and then I am sure I will be re-reading all your blog posts about it!

The Gecks said...

Ugh.... dreading this. Spring Break is the week for Ella to lose the diapers and she doesn't even know it yet, poor thing.
I will say that Jackson got a lot of experience in the first year peeing on trees and tires (not proud of this, just honest!) But a girl is another story and I'm thinking we will be forced to tackle public restrooms. Lots of anti-bacterial wipes will be on the grocery list!