THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Busy Times

There's been a lot going on recently...some of which I will blog about very soon, but let me just tell you, it's been CRAZY around here lately.
Sam was sick with something that actually required a trip to the doctor's office (funny how quick a message about a 3 day fever, cough, wheezing and shortness of breath will get you an appointment) and a breathing treatment. And while he was sick, he apparently got another one of his molars. I just noticed that there's a whole brand new tooth up there that wasn't there when we saw the dentist on the 13th...came in FAST! As he was getting well, John got sick...and managed to develop a 2 day battle with hiccups. It was crazy, and very annoying to him, I'm sure. I've never seen someone with hiccups like this. They came in series of 2-5, one right after the other. The poor guy looked like he was seizing each time he'd hiccup. And NOTHING would stop them. He ended up having to take a muscle relaxer to get his darn diaphragm to chill out. Weird!
And then there's potty training...ahhh...potty training. Sam likes to say "I want to go on the potty train" when needs to go potty...he doesn't quite understand that this "train" doesn't go choo-choo. Ohhh, but don't let me give you the impression that he wants to get on that "train" very often. Yeah, I think we've hit a wall on the "potty train". He does very well, and can stay dry all day, if I remind (force) him to go to the potty every 1.5-2 hours but he doesn't tell us he needs to go very often...NEVER tells us at home, but does sometimes when we're out. So last week I decided I wasn't going to 'remind' him any more and I would just let him have accidents (aside from the routine times...when we get up, before we leave the house, etc.)...and well, we had lots of accidents. And although he doesn't like being wet, he made no progress in the 'telling us he needs to go' department. I think his "impulsive" personality is really shining here and it's just going to take time (as Dr. Stavinoha says). However, we are making progress in the pooping department. The pediatrician gave us some tips last week and it seems to have made an impression. He told us when Sam poops in his diaper (he's been waiting until we put a diaper on him at night to go) we should talk to him about where poo-poo is supposed to go and actually dump it from his diaper to the toilet so he can see it and flush it. Just a day or two after we started doing that he started to poop while playing one morning and then stopped and finished in the toilet. We've had two such semi-successes since then. We're definitely not there yet, but I think we're moving in the right direction. All-in-all, I still think it's going well...and it's been no where near as difficult as infancy.
And that "news" I mentioned earlier...well...it will have to wait another week or two. Don't you hate when people tease you like that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt like such a negligent parent when a few months ago I realized that Gabby had THREE new molars that I had not yet seen. OOPS.

Still loving all the potty updates. And so funny about getting on the "potty train". It is hilarious to see the meaning kids make out of things.

I have two guesses about your news! And yes, I hate teasers! Oh well, in a few weeks I'll be able to see if I was right!

Jen said...

Dana, one of your two guesses is probably right! ;) (But, I'm not preggers...does that help?)