THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, January 25, 2010

Sam...Big Brother

Sam is a super duper big brother...like, really, I keep waiting for things to get bad and they're not yet...I keep saying, "I'm just waiting for the bottom to fall out." People tell me, if it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to. Sam has done so well with sharing attention. We've not had any unusual behavior problems. He is really embracing his new role as the big boy in the house. I just keep pinching myself wondering if this is for real!
We got some advice from a friend that I think has really helped with Sam's transition. We try very hard not to tell Sam "no" with anything regarding the baby. Unless he's putting himself or the baby in danger, we just assist and let him do what he wants to do. Allowing him to be as hands on as possible got Ben a cold at a week old, but I truly believe it has been the key to success with a new baby in the house. John also played a huge role in being there for Sam when Ben arrived...Sam was his #1 priority. We also both try to each find time to take Sam out to do something with us every week. Sam and I have been going on a weekly lunch date, and Sam and John's most recent outing was to the western store to get some cowboy boots. John also recently purchased an electric train set and this has become their special new hobby.
Sam is helpful...loves to run and get things for me when I'm nursing and tied up...loves to do things for me and his baby brother. He's gentle with him, loves on him, and tries very hard to be quiet when brother is sleeping (well, most of the time anyway). He is 100% head over heals in love with his "baby brudder"...and so far, it looks like the feeling in mutual. Sam can keep Ben's attention longer than any of the rest of us...even momma! If he can hear Sam's voice, Ben is looking for Sam and locks in on him when he does find him.
It's such a joy to see my boys falling in love already and it warms my heart to know that they have each other for brothers. I hope that one day when they're older and they read this, they will still have that love and adoration for each other that we see today.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, I LOVE IT! What a sweet little duo. The weekly lunch date...that is a great idea. I will have to file that away in case I ever need it!

GreenStyleMom said...

Aw! That is so sweet! We never had any problems when Jack arrived either. Sometimes we have little issues now, but nothing big.