Day 2...whimpers, clingy, and close to crying.
Day 3...complete break down.
Day 4...complete break down but walked himself to class while I was dropping off brother-he showed up at his teacher's door alone, with his lunch, and sobbing.
Day 5...all is well-no problems!
Day 6 is tomorrow.
Ben has known his teacher since last school year and loves her...and she loves him. So, he's very comfortable with her. So comfortable that even though he's cried as I drop him off at school, he's wanted to be consoled and comforted by her...and his tears have stopped before I could even get out of the building.
Ben goes to school two days a week and tomorrow is the end of his third week. I'm grateful that he's adjusted quickly although he did tell me that he cries because he wants mommy. He loves his teacher and his friends and already has a bestie, Bo. Lesley, Ben's teacher, told me he comforted Bo when he got weepy at school the first week after seeing his mom during the school day (she's the gym teacher)...Ben put his hand on Bo and told him, "It's okay buddy." Sweetest. thing. ever!
The funniest story so far (aside from him going to class on his own while sobbing on day four) has involved pottying...
Apparently the second day of school Ben appeared from the restroom with his pants around his ankles exclaiming, "I potty!!!" His teachers didn't know if he needed to go or had gone in his pants but when he told them, "No! I already go in the potty!" there was quite a celebration.
Oh!...and another funny one...
The first day when Lesley told the kids to pack up their lunches and said school was over, Ben left his class...he packed up his lunch and walked out. I was at the school doing some work and he could see me across the courtyard in the lobby so he appeared in the lobby hollering, "momma...momma...Ms. Lesley say it's over!". I walked him back to his class and about the time we arrived, his teacher was frantically looking around the classroom because she'd realized Ben was missing. We had to have a talk about waiting for mom to come get him in his class.
Some of Ben's favorite things about school so far...his friend Bo, his very own lunchbox, and the sandbox on the playground.
He still asks if I'm going to leave him at school each day when we go, but I can tell he's getting more and more confident and comfortable every day!
![]() |
| Ben-first day |

No comments:
Post a Comment