THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Sunday, November 4, 2012

What Mom Can Do When the Family is Away

It's been over six years since I've been in my own home, alone, with no mouths to feed, no tears to wipe, no faces and bottoms to wipe, no responsibility...

This weekend John took Sam to the deer lease for the first time.  (More on that when they return later and I get all the stories.)  And after they left, my in-laws offered to take Ben for the day and overnight Saturday...so I could "play"...shop, run around, do what I want to do.  John told me "just wait".  He's been the one at home with the boys and I gone on trips in the past and he doesn't like us all being gone.  I was giddy with excitement!  I quickly realized if I didn't take this gift of time to do things around the house, I would be very upset that I wasted it.  So, I decided to clean out closets.  Needed for the boys' closets and the playroom closets, mine too, but I had planned to start with the main three.

Well, I sort of did what I set out to do...and then did a little of what my in-laws had hoped I would...

I have purged the playroom of "baby" toys and reorganized the closet.  Although it's already set up in a very organized way with containers and labels and a place for everything, the six year old and two year old AND the 41 year old do not help me keep it that way.  It's back to normal and it feels good.  In cleaning out the playroom closet I decided to tackle the toys that have been dumped in our guest bedroom for various reasons.  I'm almost finished and when it's complete, every toy in our house will be in it's place.  No more baby toys, no more worries of choking hazards in this house (which allowed me to bring some of Sam's old toys out that have been hidden).  While I thought this would bring sadness, it actually feels quite great!

And walking into the guest room brought on the most unexpected project...

I completely cleaned out and decorated the guest room.  This has been on my wish list for several years...we've lived in our house three and a half years and only had a mattress and box springs on a bed frame up there and used the room for storage (because it's upstairs and out of sight).  I bought an adorable bed, bedside table, and quilt and pillows for the bed.  And I cleaned EVERYTHING out of bedroom.  I found some old silk curtains that I can reuse so those are going up today and I'm ordering shades for the upstairs landing today...it actually looks like an inviting, cozy guest room now!!!  (I saw a wall hanging I'd like to have yesterday too but will wait for it to go on sale.)

The only problem with this is that I'm not sure hubby will leave me alone again for a weekend for fear that it will be costly, again.

I need one more weekend like this to complete the following projects:
Clean out boys' closets
Organize the office
Reorganize my closet and pull out clothes to donate

Perhaps being a hunting widow isn't so bad after all!

No comments: