THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, December 31, 2007

A Weekend Away

I got a weekend away...yes, alone...no husband, no baby! My friend Hollie got married on Saturday in Galveston and John sent me off by myself to be with my friends. There was a time, not too long ago, that I would have been upset he wasn't going with me, but now...I was glad to leave him home. Because he stayed home all weekend with Sam! I do wish he could have joined me for the fun (but he wouldn't have had as much fun as I did). The wedding was beautiful, and continued (after the reception) into the wee morning hours at the hotel bar, telling stories from years ago...yes, even the bride and groom attended the after party! It was like a mini high school reunion with friends from 3 or 4 different graduating classes (and their parents). The bride, my friend Hollie, graduated with me and the groom, a year after us. Not much has changed...except that we're older and have spouses and kids...but we can all still party like we used to in good ol' La Porte.
This was my first time away from Sam in 15 1/2 months...the first time I've gotten to lie in bed all morning reading magazines, take a guilt free nap in the middle of the day (without feeling like I needed to be up doing something), I didn't have to change a diaper for 48 hours, and didn't have to do anything for anyone but myself...it was a completely selfish 48 hours, and I loved it! And John and Sam had a great weekend too...even with Sam's strong mommy attachment right now. Because he's been teething and has had quite a few irritable days lately, I was worried he might miss me...Huh!...I'm not sure he knew I was gone! I was very excited to get home and see Sam on Sunday, so when I got him up from his nap, I expected great excitement from him. All he wanted was his snack...it was like I had just put him down for his nap an hour earlier. I'm really not sure he knew I was gone.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

WOW, a whole weekend away...I am definitely jealous! Let's get birthday club rolling this month...right?
I know what you mean about Sam. When I left Drew for the first time (no...not a weekend away...just like the first time I went out by myself for a couple hours) I expected him to be THRILLED when I got home, but he seemed pretty happy playing with dad. ugh...I mean yay!