THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Friday, May 16, 2008

Potty Time

Today was a very big day for Sam...He pee-peed in his new potty. I think this has caught us by surprise just a little...
First, I have to say that I didn't think we'd actually manage to get pee into a potty at this age...I don't think we're really potty training yet...geez, I don't know. This all started a month or so ago....Sam started occasionally noticing when he would pee and has become fascinated with peeing in the bathtub. Around the same time when we'd ask him if he had poo-poo in his diaper, he'd answer accurately. So last week I asked the moms in my playgroup and some other friends if they had potties yet (trying to figure out if we needed to get one now). Everyone else seemed to have already checked this off their list. Really, I haven't even thought once about potty training yet...I haven't done any reading, haven't even asked the pediatrician about it at our well check. I did a little research reading potty reviews on Amazon and looked to see what my favorite baby store, Right Start, carries. I decided on the Baby Bjorn Potty Chair in white; simple, practical, and reasonably priced. I showed it to Sam after I bought it but didn't have time to play on it last night. Oh, but first thing this morning...current favorite toy...up, down, up, down...He played on it for a while, fully clothed. Our normal evening bath routine involves removing Sam's diaper and often letting him run diaperless through the house. This also means he often pees somewhere in the house. Tonight I decided to keep him in the bathroom with me and let him sit on his potty while I ran the bath water. He was excited at my suggestion of "pee-peeing in his potty". He wasn't sitting there a minute, and he did it! Of course we celebrated, ran to get daddy, showed daddy Sam's pee-pee...and then twice while I was bathing him, Sam wanted to get out to sit on his potty and try again. All he could muster up was a little poot.
So, here we are...that was fun!...now what?...where do we go from here? I mean, he's only 20 months old and I don't want to put any pressure on him, but I also don't want to ignore his interest in the potty. Any experienced potty training experts out there have thoughts to share? I'd love to hear them. Books to read? Any important dos or don'ts at this stage? We don't see the pediatrician for another 3 1/2 months so I have a while to wait and talk to him about it.

I'll try to post some (clothed) pictures on the potty soon.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

let me know how it goes, I'll be looking for advice from you! Drew told us poo poo the other day and he did in fact have a dirty diaper, I was proud of him for that. The other night I had the great idea of letting him run around naked after dinner and he did MORE than pee on the rug, NOT FUN!

Anonymous said...

hey there....
first of all...i love the kitchen helper---so cute!

Leyton has been telling me he has pooped and he will bring me the diaper and wipes. (never told me about peeing though) I thought for sure I would start working with the whole potty training thing when he started doing that. I have talked to some folks though and actually read (can't remember where) that they will show signs that they are ready to potty train when in fact they are not developmentally ready yet. It said somewhere around 18 months they will seem ready but they most likely are not. I'm by far not an expert....but I think I'm just going to use the potty chair for fun at this point. who knows! also, kristin's pedi told her to let jensen practice peeing outside at first. my nephew just turned two and he loves playing outside and squeezing out a little pee! :) so cute!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
well I've done this twice, so I guess I know a little about it. Although, every child is so different in this area. It's not uncommon for a child Sam's age to show signs of readiness, but it is incredibly uncommon for a child his age to actually TRAIN. I'm telling you this not to discourage you, but to keep you from being disappointed. It's great that he's interested, and I would continue to encourage it. However, there are several signs besides just knowing they need to go. For example, Emma could tell me she needed to go at about 18 mo; however, she needed to go about every 15 minutes. I found out that extended time between pottying is a sign. So we waited 6 months, and she trained at 2. My very best advice is that when you are sure he's physically ready, don't use pull-ups! A lot of people do, but in my opinion, it extends the training time. I wanted to train in a week and be done with it, so "fancy diapers" were not an option for me. Good luck and keep me posted :)

GreenStyleMom said...

I have to ditto everything Rachel just said... even the doing it twice bit! :)

My biggest advice is to not push it AT ALL. Everyone that I know where the mom was really excited to PT, the kids resisted in a big way. Both of my kids trained in basically a day (the poop took a bit longer, but that is pretty common). I had a potty available from age one, and the kids would sit on it for fun (Kate even started peeing in it at about 18 months). But we didn't move past that until about 2 1/2. Kate initiated her training by telling me one day that she wanted to start using the potty. I had to nudge Jack when I noticed his diapers were dry for longer periods of time. We scheduled a day at home, they ran around naked, and every 30min they sat on the potty. By the next day they were in big kid underwear.

I used pull-ups for longer outings and airplane rides until I was comfortable but never at home. The kids know the difference and won't use the potty with them on.

I hear so many moms say that PT is the worst, but it was really easy for us. I really think that the no pressure route helped.