This is a picture of Sam after going down an enclosed tube slide at the swimming pool today. This was only our second trip to the pool this summer and I've ridden the slide with Sam between 5 & 10 times. I was standing down in the water watching him play with the water guns at the top of the slide...sure I didn't need to worry about him attempting to go down the slide himself...Oh, but I was wrong. Before I could get up the steps to him, he had cut in line and was coming down the slide. Last week when we went to the pool, I thought about encouraging him to go down the slide himself, but decided he's too young and I didn't want it to scare him. Next year, I thought. It's not a huge slide, but not small either, and the enclosed part is long enough that you are in complete darkness for about 5 seconds as you loop around, before shooting out the bottom with water splashing in your face. So began a lesson in waiting in line and waiting for the go-ahead from the lifeguard. The only problem was that all the kids going down the slide were older than Sam and were just stepping right around him in line...as were parents with other young children too!!!...hmph!...the nerve! So, I had to climb up to the top of the slide with him to make sure he got a spot in line and then when he was next, and I knew the lifeguard would keep anyone for getting in front of him, I would run down to the bottom of the slide to make sure his face wasn't submerged in water when he came out. Whew! What a work out. Thankfully another mom with small children who always seemed to be behind Sam in line offered to help him keep his place in line so I could get to the bottom in time. We did have one scary ride that I thought was pretty funny...he came out head first on his back and DID. NOT. like it. That was ride #3 or 4 so I thought that would keep him off the slide for the remainder of the day...wrong again! Right back to it. The best part was that as he readied himself at the top of the slide each time waiting for the lifeguard's go-ahead, he would scrunch up his face and squeeze his eyes and mouth closed. Couldn't manage to get a picture of that. I guess it doesn't matter how dark the slide is when your eyes are closed anyway!
THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee
Monday, June 22, 2009
Fearless!
This is a picture of Sam after going down an enclosed tube slide at the swimming pool today. This was only our second trip to the pool this summer and I've ridden the slide with Sam between 5 & 10 times. I was standing down in the water watching him play with the water guns at the top of the slide...sure I didn't need to worry about him attempting to go down the slide himself...Oh, but I was wrong. Before I could get up the steps to him, he had cut in line and was coming down the slide. Last week when we went to the pool, I thought about encouraging him to go down the slide himself, but decided he's too young and I didn't want it to scare him. Next year, I thought. It's not a huge slide, but not small either, and the enclosed part is long enough that you are in complete darkness for about 5 seconds as you loop around, before shooting out the bottom with water splashing in your face. So began a lesson in waiting in line and waiting for the go-ahead from the lifeguard. The only problem was that all the kids going down the slide were older than Sam and were just stepping right around him in line...as were parents with other young children too!!!...hmph!...the nerve! So, I had to climb up to the top of the slide with him to make sure he got a spot in line and then when he was next, and I knew the lifeguard would keep anyone for getting in front of him, I would run down to the bottom of the slide to make sure his face wasn't submerged in water when he came out. Whew! What a work out. Thankfully another mom with small children who always seemed to be behind Sam in line offered to help him keep his place in line so I could get to the bottom in time. We did have one scary ride that I thought was pretty funny...he came out head first on his back and DID. NOT. like it. That was ride #3 or 4 so I thought that would keep him off the slide for the remainder of the day...wrong again! Right back to it. The best part was that as he readied himself at the top of the slide each time waiting for the lifeguard's go-ahead, he would scrunch up his face and squeeze his eyes and mouth closed. Couldn't manage to get a picture of that. I guess it doesn't matter how dark the slide is when your eyes are closed anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a little daredevil you have! This kid is going to give you grey hairs one day, isn't he!
Dana, you are so not kidding! I just read your blog post about gabby at the pool with a friend's boy and Im fantasizing about hopefully having a girl so I can relax a little!
I know, what a little dare devil! Drew did really great at a neighbor's pool today wanting to do it "by myself", loved that he wanted to be so independent today!
Post a Comment