THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Making Banana Bread

I really hate it when I have fruits and veggies that I have to throw out because they've gone bad. (And it happens every week...ugh!...I hate to admit that.) John and I have casually talked about composting (when we get into a house)...I'm not sure why we feel the need to wait until we buy a house except that we don't have any plants, flowers or a garden now, so we're not sure what we'd do with it. I did tell John if we started composting, his mom would probably like it...she always has the most beautiful things growing.
So last week (before we all got sick or hurt), as my bananas were getting less yellow and more brown, I decided to make some banana nut bread (without the nuts since we haven't introduced nuts into Sam's diet yet). It was so yummy...really, the BEST I've ever had...and Sam helped make it!. Although I had to add a little more flour to his bowl once he got finished stirring.




Here's the recipe (from Flour Bakery in Boston):

FLOUR'S FAMOUS BANANA BREAD
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour, which I use in almost everything instead of regular flour b/c you really can't tell a difference)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs with a wire whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

thanks for the great recipe (from Boston no less!) I ALWAYS end up throwing bananas away because I like them with a touch of green on them and they just don't last!