THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, March 24, 2008

Catching Up

It's been a busy week and a half in my house...happy times and sad, relaxing and stressful. I'll try to do a quick catch up and then hopefully get back to posting regularly again.
My mom, stepdad, and two of my sisters were in town for Easter Weekend. Sam got to hunt eggs twice...once with our neighborhood group and also at the Arboretum. He loved both hunts and I think we'll be hunting Easter Eggs around our house for a few months...it's a new favorite game. I had to buy tickets for the Arboretum hunt because it was only open to members, and space was limited. When we arrived (in two vehicles) and I checked us in, the ladies at the table gasped, "11 adults, and 1 child?"...yes, there were 11 of us there to watch Sam hunt Easter Eggs. I quickly explained that it was the first Easter Egg Hunt for the first grandbaby, so all his grandparents and aunts wanted to be there. I wonder what I'll say next year? Because I'm sure we'll all be there again. (Pictures are on our photo website...password is our last name.)
Last Thursday, my sweet little Brittany passed away. It was nearing the time that I was going to have to possibly put her to sleep. I spoke to the vet on Thursday morning and was actually wishing she'd pass away on her own so I wouldn't have to make that decision. An hour later she did just that. She was here at home and had gone outside. She lied down to rest and passed away. My dad was here and found her, and my mom (on her way in town) arrived 10 minutes later. John was also on his way home from work. It was great to have so much help because I was a wreck. She was cremated today and I should have her ashes back tomorrow. She's been a great companion the last 13 years and will be missed by all of my family and many friends.
I traveled to Houston the 16th & 17th for my granddad's funeral. He's been sick for about 5 months...he actually had that same aortic problem that caused John Ritter's death. He's had numerous surgeries and spent the last 5 months moving between ICU, the hospital floor, rehab, and home...it's been an exhausting 5 months for him, as well as my mom and her brothers and sisters. He spent his last 3 days in a wonderful hospice facility that allowed unlimited time with family, friends, and even his sweet dog Rover. The service was very special. My granddad was a WWII Vet and a Mason, so he had an 18 gun salute, a Taps Bugler, and the Masons did their graveside ritual. And my cousin who is a Marine and recently returned from Iraq presented my aunt, his mom, with the burial flag.

While I was there I got to meet my new little cousin, baby Hayes (only 1 month old)...his name is actually Samuel (which I love, of course), but they call him Hayes. Oooo, he was so sweet, I just wanted to eat him up.


The weekend of the 14th-16th I had a little mini-vacation. I traveled out to East Texas to meet some girls taught with for a Scrapbooking Retreat. I FINALLY got started on Sam's baby book. It was a productive time (except that I forgot all my photos of him from the first 6 months...I only had photos from months 7-12), but I did get a good start despite that. We had home cooked meals all weekend (made by the owners), a massage therapist came in on Saturday to do massages, and we visited as we worked. Saturday morning it was so nice outside that I opened the windows in our bedroom and lied in the window seat with the sun coming in and a breeze blowing through...I mean, seriously, it doesn't get much better than that!

No comments: