THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, April 28, 2008

"Field Trip" to a Working Farm

(Kristen, you will really appreciate this.) We took a really neat "field trip" on Saturday. We drove out to East Texas to a working farm, Windy Meadows Family Farm, that I've just started buying chicken and eggs from. A couple of weeks ago I finally found Texas Supernatural Meats at the Dallas Farmers Market, where we can buy grass-fed and pastured meat & poultry items from Windy Meadows, Rehoboth Ranch, and Truth Hill Farm...they're only open Fridays & Saturdays from 10:00-4:00 or 5:00, so I often miss them when we are at the Farmers Market. After what I learned and saw Saturday, I won't miss them any more! I will plan my farmers market trips around them. John and I have recently become interested in grass-fed chickens and beef because of Michael Pollen's books, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. Great reads for anyone who is interested in the foods we (Americans) eat.


At the farm, we got to see the chickens, cows, and sheep. We saw how they graze, where they live, toured the building where the family processes their chicken (they do it all themselves, and each of the children has a job in the process too). They have 10 Great Pyrenees that all have jobs too. Each field of chickens has a dog that lives with them to guard them from night predators. We also met their 3 week old calf, baby chicks, and 5 week old puppies. We took a hay ride to tour their land, which Sam loved, as well as the cool tree he got to climb. Each area of the farm is integrated and sustainable. This was one of the most educational things I've done in a long time. We can't wait to take Sam back when he can learn something too. The most eye-opening thing to me was learning about "pastured" animals. I usually buy cage-free eggs and free-range chickens at Whole Foods, but I learned that these terms are really misnomers. These chickens still live most of their lives in large buildings that house thousands of chickens and aren't outside roaming freely and eating the grass like I used to believe. However, pastured chickens are different. They roam freely, within a small area of the pasture, and are moved regularly so the grass they're eating is always fresh and rich with nutrients. The chickens (and other animals at Windy Meadows) are not given antibiotics or hormones. Because of this and the way they're raised (pastured), the animals are better for us (to consume).
From the Windy Meadows website:
The meats and dairy products of animals allowed free access to forage will be naturally higher in zinc, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin E and other precious vitamins and minerals. Grass-fed animals also have a much better ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids and are lower in saturated fat. When you eat grass-fed meats, eggs and milk products, you get the benefits of these essential fatty acids, but especially when you include the fats from these pastured products in your diet.
This was such a great trip and such a great opportunity to begin a relationship with the family that raises the chickens that we eat. There's nothing like the comfort in knowing where your food comes from and how it gets to your plate. John and I are now also looking for a co-op to join so we can start getting more of our fruits and vegetables from local family farms. Now if I could just find a milkman that delivers fresh milk from a local farm (I am looking for one).
A great website for people also looking for local farms to buy from is Local Harvest. You put in your zip code and what you're looking for and they give you a list of nearby farms.

There are more pictures on our photo website if you're interested in seeing more of the farm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I bet Sam loved that! I just found a lady to get milk from, but we don't have cool farmers' markets like you do. I love reading your blog :)

Anonymous said...

We joined a CSA a month ago because of Michael Pollan's book. Today we went to our farm to pick strawberries and took a tour and saw where our eggs come from. I agree, going to the farm and seeing food actually in production is so educational! I am so glad you found one that is close to you.