THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Special Day for Us

John and I met and started dating 7 years ago today....July 22, 2001. (And I wasn't the one who remembered.) John woke me up this morning with "Happy Anniversary"...I must admit, I was a little confused for a minute.
John and I were introduced by my friend Memori's boyfriend (at the time)...which all came about in a strange way. I was actually set up with Memori's boyfriend (no, no...before he was her boyfriend) on Valentine's Day 2001 and Memori stole him from me that night. No hard feelings though...there was really nothing happening for him and me. We were at a Betsy Johnson fashion show and sitting on one row together with some friends between Memori and me. I remember Memori looking down the row and telling me, "If you don't want him, pass him down." (He was good looking guy.) After the show, Memori chatted it up with him and they really hit it off. Fast forward 5 months. Memori's boyfriend mentioned a guy he knew from work and the gym, he'd recently gotten out of a relationship, and he wanted to introduce me to him.
Cue, John.
Our meeting was arranged at the lake, on my boat, and ended up being so much fun and laid back. (I didn't like the idea of the whole set-up, blind date thingy.) I felt like I could be myself at the lake with my friends, and I guess my thinking worked out pretty well. I remember John getting out of the car that day and chuckling to Memori (who was sitting in the passenger seat next to me)...Ha!...He's not going to want anything to do with me! Uh...ya see...if you know John, you know he works out and it's very obvious that he does...and me, not so much. I can't tell you if I was working out at that time or not, but my work-outs could best be described as sporadic, with sometimes (like now), years between work-outs. I really didn't think he was 'my type' nor did I think I would be his. But!... John once told me that he left the lake that day thinking I was a "cool girl"...Okay...I guess...really, what guy wouldn't like a girl who could trailer a boat, put it the water, operate it, load it back on the trailer, and back the boat and trailer into a storage shed it just barely fit in all by herself while instructing her 'assistants' on how to help? I guess showing my skills may have been part of my plan impress him...good thing it worked! He joined us for my birthday celebration later that evening (with a birthday card in hand...huge points with all the girls, and me!) and we've been inseparable ever since.
Memori's no longer with "boyfriend", and she's quick to tell people that John and I were the best thing that came out of that relationship...I have to agree with her.

2 comments:

The Gecks said...

Happy Birthday Chica. I had forgotten all that... good times!

GreenStyleMom said...

Happy Anniversary! Matt was pretty impressed that I could back a boat/trailer into the water also. I should get Matt to Dallas in the summer so we can do some waterskiing