THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Sunday, October 18, 2009

5 years!

I had a great big post planned in my mind for our anniversary Friday, October 16, but instead I got the dog groomed, went to my OB appt, saw Bevo, took a much needed, GOOD, nap (I've been fighting a cold all week), ran more errands, backed into a car with DH beloved truck...ummmm, so I didn't have time for blogging. And after all that we took Sam to a neighborhood Oktoberfest so he could ride a pony, climb on tractors, and pet some animals before all going out to dinner together. I called off the nice romantic dinner for the two of us because red, watery eyes, a snotty nose, and sneezing is. not. pretty! Can you imagine sitting in a nice restaurant like that? But we did get some family time, which we both agreed was fun and worth it...it was nice to not only celebrate five years of being married, but the family we've become in those five years. What day do you ever take the time to do that?...a "family day"?...Now there's a new Hallmark Holiday!
It was an easy decision...what we turned our anniversary into, because two weekends ago John and I took a spontaneous road trip and left Sam at home with grandparents. We've been looking for a dining room table and everything we've found was just okay...it would work if we did this or that to it, but wasn't exactly what I wanted. Now that we have a house and are starting to furnish it, we want to buy "forever furniture". The one place we've wanted to go, but hadn't been to look for our table is outside of San Antonio in Boerne, Catrina's on the Ranch. We learned about it from the people we bought our house from and John had them make some bar stools for me for Mother's Day. So, mid-week a few weeks ago, I told John, let's go! He didn't jump on board right away, but he finally agreed. We both HATE driving which makes road trips painful...we even talked about flying and renting a car...that's how much we hate driving. But, we did it! Our first trip away without Sam. I found a very neat Bed & Breakfast in downtown Boerne for us to stay in. We arrived late Friday night, slept in Saturday morning, shopped, ate some good barbecue, walked Main Street, napped, lied in bed and watched TV, slept in on Sunday morning, and headed back (in time for 3:00 Cowboys kick-off, of course!). And the best part was that we did actually find "The" table! Saturday we walked in to Catrina's and were greeted by a salesman. We told him we were looking for a dining room table. He showed us one that we didn't like but told him what we had in mind. He said, "Oh!...got the perfect one!", took us to it and it was EXACTLY what we'd been looking for. Although it wasn't the right size, everything else was perfect! We sat down and started talking and left after 3 hours (we LOVED the place) with our table on order...it's being made...the size we want, color we want, bench for one side, chairs for the other...perfect! Our goal is to have it for our first Thanksgiving Dinner in our new home and they assured us that wouldn't be a problem. So, that was our anniversary trip...a couple of weeks early, but great! And the most ironic part is that when we returned and I started trying to figure out what to get John for our anniversary, I learned that the traditional 5 year anniversary gift is wood...he did the same thing. When we talked last week about gifts for one another, there was no discussion needed...we both agreed we had already found our gift. And a very special one! I'd like to have our names and 5 year anniversary date carved in the bottom of the table when we get it. Now, I have to figure out who can do that for me.

No comments: