THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, February 22, 2010

Chunky Monkey and his 2 Month Check Up

Ben's new nickname from me is chunky monkey (which Sam thinks is hysterical). His face is filling out. He has fat rolls that make him look like he has joints in his limbs where no joint should be. He is definitely eating well!

My friend Marsha recently posted a weight update about her little girl which reminded me I hadn't done the same for Ben.

7 lbs 8 oz, 18 3/4 in at birth
8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 in at 2 weeks
9 lbs 13 oz (up to the 50th percentile from the 25th at 2 weeks!), 21 in at 1 month
11 lbs 10 oz (again in the 50th percentile), 21 7/8 in at 2 months

Although, these length measurements may or may not be accurate...I don't like the way they do baby's length at the pedi's office. They lie him down and mark it on the paper on the exam table...what's that about?...and the head is always where the girls mess it up. They mark where his head is touching the paper, not in a line from the top of the head...seriously, I've seen two different nurses do it this way. As John said when he noticed them measuring Ben's head wrong..."we're not trying to land on the moon"...we didn't say anything because it's not that big a deal. And, by the way, his length measurements are below the 20th percentile. But, that's similar to Sam and really, John and I didn't think we'd make a basketball player.

The rest of his check up was great. We got a "thriving, healthy baby" note from the doctor! Those things always make you feel good. I was convinced that Ben has flat head and we were on the road to a helmet. But, it turns out his head looks great. This kid still sleeps like a newborn...he sleeps 14-16 hours a day...that's why I thought he had flat head. And in case you're wondering why there are no pictures of this little guy, well, because he's always asleep! (or I'm dealing with a three year old). Last week I had places to go and things to do. I took Ben with me so I could feed him when needed. Our week ended with one very fussy, cranky, sleeping only 2-3 hours at a time (even at night) little boy! Yesterday we were home all day, and he's sleeping much better...he still only stays up for about an hour at a time...until the evening, during the witching hours, which we're still dealing with...wondering when that ends! He's gotten to the age that he doesn't sleep as well out and about in his car seat because he's too interested in what going on around him. He's also becoming more social and "talking" and smiling more so the more attention he gets, the less likely he is to sleep. I feel like I'm about to be on house arrest until this little guy starts staying awake longer and gets on a 2-3 naps a day schedule.

Ben also had to endure his very first shot at this two month check up. He was NOT happy, but what baby is? Although, he actually cried more when the Dr. was examining him. We were interrupting his nap at this appointment so he was very tired and cranky.



Ben-2 months, 2 days old (and trying to get his hand in his mouth)

No comments: