THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ben's New Sounds

Ben is now making a "T" sound alllllll the time...and he's so funny with it...he does it and waits for whoever is standing there to do it back to him and then he laughs.  We've also heard "S" a couple of times. I don't remember the "T" with Sam at this age...it seems like he was just doing "ga" and "da"...maybe started doing "ba"...hmmm...if I could find Sam's calendar with everything written on it, I might know these things.

I'm glad to hear all these new sounds out of Ben because I've been worried speech might be a problem for him.  When he was 2 wks or a month old (I can't remember which), we had his frenulum cut.  I noticed a lot of clicking when he was nursing and it turned out that his frenulum (the tissue that connects the tongue to the bottom of the mouth) came almost all the way out to the tip of his tongue.  When he'd extend his tongue the center of it pulled in...they called it a "heart-shape".  So, to help with nursing and knowing that it would later very likely cause speech problems, we had it snipped.  But of course, I now worry about if it was snipped too much, what would we do, or if it was snipped enough...yada, yada, ya...I can always find something to worry about.

No comments: