THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

*WARNING* If you don't like potty talk, stop now, read no further.

Sam has learned the story of the boy who cried wolf...only fitting that we tell it to him after so many times that he's cried wolf.

We're dealing with a sleep/bedtime dilemma with Sam these days.  It goes like this...

...Sam naps in the afternoon = Sam doesn't fall asleep until 9:00, 10:00 or even 10:30 (once).

...Sam doesn't nap = meltdown begins in the 5 o'clock hour.

He has a 1 hour rest time in the afternoon.  Sometimes he reads during rest time and sometimes he falls asleep (which leads to scenario 1 mentioned above).  And because he's not tired when he goes to bed on days he naps, he has 5,392 reasons to get out of bed.  The most common one..."I need to poop."  Despite the fact that he sits on the toilet to try to poop (and does most days) right before he goes to bed.

Since this has gotten out of control, John and I did what any good parent would do...threatened, bribed, said "no", etc.  And after, "If you call us in here or get out of bed you're going to have your blanket taken away for the night." didn't work,  (I decided that wasn't working the night he called me in there and first handed me his blanket before telling me what he needed.) we used the final straw..."Sorry, you'll have to go in your diaper."

And that's what happened a couple of nights ago..."Sorry you'll have to go in your diaper."  But the next morning we were all in for a big surprise.  Sam woke crying, at about 6:45, because he need to poop.  I ran him to the bathroom and goodness!, he needed to poop!  Lots and lots...all morning long.  Although, I think he had a little stomach bug...which made the mommy guilt even worse.

But, that afternoon I told Sam the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

I couldn't remember how the story ended except that no one came the last time he cried wolf when there was really a wolf...but when John told him the story, it ended with the boy getting eaten by the wolf.  Not exactly the lesson I was trying to teach.  I'm surprised he didn't have nightmares last night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is EXACTLY us too! Gabby gets up a million times after going to bed, and we have not managed to squelch it AT ALL. Mostly because it is usually potty-related, and it is always tricky to discipline with that. We too are in that weird stage where she really needs a nap but napping throws off bedtime. I can't believe how many times this summer we still hear her talking and singing at 10 pm!

That is hilarious that he gave you his blanket. Sounds like something Gabby would have done.

Oh the worst...sometimes instead of calling us, Gabby gets out of bed to come tell us she needs to use the bathroom. But we don't always hear her get out, and if we are watching TV in the living room, we face away from the hallway. She will tiptoe in and stand quietly behind us, and watch TV over our shoulders. On many occasions she has scared the pants off of me when I turn around and see her little face right behind me. Luckily we have never been watching anything inappropriate because who knows how long the little stinker has been there before we notice her!