THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mother's Day

We had a busy month of May, which is why I have several old posts I'm going to finally get up here now.  Sometime in the last couple of weeks of school someone said, "May is the new December", and I couldn't agree more!  May was actually crazier than the December holiday season is for me.

One of the wonderful things I got to do at school in May was a Mother's Day Luncheon at Sam's school.  Sam had the most wonderful, thoughtful teacher this year and she put together a beautiful Mother's Day lunch for all the moms of the children in her class.  Not only did she make four different salads and two different finger sandwiches (yes, made from scratch, not bought), she taught the children how to make sun tea and had them serve it to us.  AND (this takes the cake!) she packed each child a lunch the day of the luncheon so we, the moms, didn't have to pack their lunch for the day!  She also had the children perform some songs for us during the luncheon and she helped each child make a beautiful cloth napkin with their hand prints on it for us to use during the luncheon.  Oh!...and the invitation to the luncheon was a four or five piece hand made card!  Seriously...amazing!

The most entertaining thing was a printed paper each of us got with a (fill in the blank) story written by our child.

My mom is the most wonderful mom in the world!
Her name is Jennifer.  She is 13 years old.  She has green eyes and blond hair.  She weighs 60 pounds and is as tall as the attic.  Her favorite food is squash.  In the good old days when she was little, she used to play.  I love my mom because she gives me my favorite food all the time.
My mom cooks the best macaroni and cheese.  My mom and I like to play with the swing set.  My mom's favorite clothes to wear are dresses.  My mom is beautiful because she likes to be neat.
by Sam - Age 4
Mother's Day 2011

So, I must say I was flattered my young son thinks I'm so young, tall and skinny!  My favorite food is not squash but I may have made a yummy garlic julienned squash around the time that this was written that I do love!  It's so fitting that Sam seems to love the food I give him because I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen...and I do make a great mac 'n cheese (my great aunt's recipe).  I do love to wear dresses (in the spring and summer) and the being "neat" he mentions definitely does not mean that my house is always "neat".  Sam has a new interest in dressing up and he calls this being "neat".  If I'd let him, he'd wear a collared shirt, jeans, a belt, and boots every day...no matter the temperature or what he's going to do.  And he loves when I put on a dress to go out for the night.  He even notices when daddy is "neat" and has on his jeans and boots.

No comments: