THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, August 15, 2011

Loose Teeth...Five Around the Corner...BIG KID!

Five years old is big!  Five years old, to me, means Kindergarten, big school...there were five year olds in elementary school when I was teaching!...I don't feel like my first born is a school-aged boy yet!...and he's not big enough to be one of those kids that went to school where I taught!  This is going to be a big birthday...a though one for me.  I can't imagine saying, "I have a five year old."  I've not had much time to think about it since John and I have been in and out of town for the last month...which is a good thing I guess.

But, we went to the dentist today and the 'five years old' thing is starting to sink in...they told us Sam has two loose teeth!  Exciting, but it also makes me realize how big he's getting and how quickly he's growing up.

We found an adorable book while we were traveling about tooth traditions all over the world.  We didn't buy it because, well, we didn't think we'd need it for a while (and we didn't want to carry it around).  But, as we were both sitting at the dentist with Sam today, John looked at me and mouthed, "We need to get the book."  So I was just on the computer ordering it and then found some other books, and read this about Truman's Loose Tooth by Kristine Wurm...and this pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now...although these feelings I'm having really aren't about losing a tooth, it's really about "five", but the two together...double-whammy!...
There's little that compares in childhood to the dramatic changes that are brought about when a child loses their first tooth. Nothing else is so readily apparent to everyone that the child has gone through a milestone that marks their growth and development into an "elementary-schooler." This time is surrounded with such excitement and anticipation, yet it is often the child's first experience with loss, a change in their physical appearance that will never be the same. That change is in their smile...
 And so, we get ready for "five", Pre-K, and losing teeth!

No comments: