THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, December 29, 2008

The Christmas Season, Part 1...New York

Our trip to New York was over a month ago, but still seems like yesterday because it was so fun and life has been extremely busy since then.
This was Sam's first trip to New York, well, second if you count in the womb...I was 12 weeks pregnant with Sam the last time John and I went. This trip was also the first time John's family had been to New York. His mom, dad, and sister went with us. And although we had a few "issues" (some of which I'm STILL dealing with)...The apartment leasing company tried to charge me more than the amount on our contract when we checked in but couldn't provide an explanation and furthermore couldn't understand why I was so adamant about getting one...4-star-priced apartment with 1-star issues...Baggage charges by the airline (American) that I didn't think we should have because we bought our tickets in APRIL!...and oh yeah, kind of a biggie, a "plausible" terror threat that had armed (with VERY large guns and dogs) officers on the streets and in the subways.
But, enough about the bad stuff...
The parade was the highlight of the trip for me, the reason I wanted to go, and I was like a teenage girl seeing the Jonas Brothers during the parade. Okay, maybe not exactly, but I did almost start crying when I saw 'The Turkey' coming up the street to start the parade. We actually snagged a nice little spot on some steps along Central Park West right next to the Tavern on The Green restaurant (we didn't make it there to eat dinner...I've heard it's overrated...so I was glad everyone got to, at least, see it). The bonus about our "spot" was that it was right next to a playground. Sam only lasted half way through the two hour parade, so John and his parents took turns taking him to play on the playground. We did see some famous people in the parade, many of them I didn't know because I'm not 13 years old, but I enjoyed the balloons, floats, Turkey and Santa most. Just being there was such a neat experience. It's something I'd like to take my kids to do again when they get older, but not for a while. And now on my list of 'Things I Want to Do Before I Die'...the Rose Parade. I mentioned this to John...no comment from him, just a look. I guess it might take a while to recover from the crowds at the Macy's Parade.
Another great experience was the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. As if our 4th row seats weren't spectacular enough (I bought them the day they went on sale!), we met a special person on the way to the show. As we walked out of our apartment headed to the show, a guy started talking to John...gym rat to gym rat (he was very fit and clearly worked out). The conversation started with, "You been to the gym today?" and from there we learned that his dad was a famous boxing referee, called one the Muhammad Ali fights, and he too used to box and is now trying to follow in his dad's footsteps...and best of all (for me at least), he works backstage at Radio City AND invited us back for a tour after the show! Not kidding, totally 100% serious! THE best surprise! We got to see the camel from the show, saw one of the Rockettes in her costume, took pictures with some of the sets, saw the amazing stage, posed on the steps the Rockettes dance on, and Sam got to sit in the airplane used during the show...SO. COMPLETELY. AMAZING! This guy was so nice. New York Italian to the bone. He loved Sam. Doesn't have kids himself and called kids like Sam "his kids". We ran into him at lunch after the show and parted ways with hugs and kisses, Merry Christmas, and each others emails.
Other highlights (again from my perspective)...
John and I got tickets to see a taping of the David Letterman Show. We saw Teri Hatcher and Ludacris...it was neat to watch how it all happens after watching it on TV for so many years. Yummy Italian dinner for Thanksgiving at Carmine's. Sam took his first (of many, I hope) trip to The Met. He liked the armor for the horses and reflection pools. He also got to see the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum. Both of these outings worked only because Sam and I worked them around his naps while everyone else spent hours touring them. Sam and I also went to the CMOM (children's museum). It wasn't all I expected...maybe my expectations were too high. And it was very crowded because we were there the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Fewer people probably would have made it more enjoyable...and perhaps an extra set of eyes to help me keep track of Sam. His favorite part was the green mirror. He kept poking his face while looking in it, checking to make sure there wasn't something wrong with himself. Sam also got to see the Macy's Santa and take a picture with him. We did this the Monday after Thanksgiving and waited less than 10 minutes...the day before, I was told people were waiting over 2 hours! Oh, and FAO Schwarz. I think this was Sam's favorite thing (aside from the constant flow of taxis, garbage trucks, fire engines, and police cars zipping past him). Sam entered FAO and went crazy. He ran from display to display, taking things down, belly flopping on large stuffed animals, fell in love with a race track (we later had to explain why Santa couldn't bring a "race car track" this year), pushed a pink baby stroller all over the store, made a build your own Barbie on a computer with daddy (clothes, accessories and all), and at one point even began putting things in his stroller, things he wanted to buy. And we had the fit of all fits when it was time to leave. The "toy soldier" (as Sam called him) at the exit did help matters, but that was only until he had to get back in his stroller to go to dinner.
John's family also saw the Statue of Liberty, took a harbor boat tour, saw Ground Zero, the Empire State Building, and Times Square. I'd already done these things on previous trips so I'd take Sam in to nap while they did these things each day. I'm sad that we missed Serendipity's frozen hot chocolate, Dylan's candy shop (we NEED one of these in Dallas!), and didn't see more of the holiday windows. But, there's only so much you can do in a week's time.
I also have to say that the weather was very tolerable. A coat, gloves and scarf kept me comfortable the whole time. Much unlike our last trip to New York in March of 2006.
As fun as it was, I'm not sure I want to take such a big trip during the holidays again for a while...we've had a lot going on the last month. But, this definitely was one of the best trips I've had in New York.
I really do think I could live there. I've always said it was something I could have done as a young single or married girl, but not with a family. However, having Sam there with me this time opened my eyes to another New York I've never experienced. I'd love to be able to do all there is to do with kids in New York...and not have the pressure of fitting it into a week's vacation.

*A side note*...I've not edited and uploaded all of the 450 pictures I took in New York...yes, 450! These are some of the best ones and I'll get more up online (hopefully) in the near future.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

so fun!!!! love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Thanks friend! You made this SAHM's day :)

Jen said...

Rachel...I'm so glad! :)