THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, August 31, 2009

A Bike for the Birthday Boy

Oh yes...we have a special birthday coming up. Sam will be three in 9 days. We've been contemplating buying a swing set that I thought could serve as his birthday gift, but since we haven't decided on one, and it won't be here for his birthday, I decided we would get him something else. We were in REI last weekend and as he was sitting on all the bikes, I had that Aha! moment...a bike would be his big gift from us. But I've decided we're not going to do the ol' training wheel thing.

If you haven't heard of balance bikes or run bikes, Google it. They are small bikes without pedals that are used to teach young kids how to balance, maneuver, and steer a bike without having to worry about pedaling. It's supposedly "the way" it's been done in Europe for years. The way the balance bike works is that kids (as young as two) can sit on and walk the bike. Then as they get more comfortable they can run the bike. And then they can pick their legs up and coast. They are supposed to be able go straight from a balance bike to a regular bike, completely bypassing the training wheel stage. And that's a good thing for our offspring...I can remember being totally terrified to get rid of my training wheels, and John told me last night that he too had the same experience. He said he rode his crooked bike on one bent training wheel forever...he never would admit how old he was when he got rid of it. I guess we won't make him tell us. So, you see, keeping training wheels out of our child's life is probably a good thing.

I've done a little research I can share for others who are also interested in skipping the training wheel stage...
LIKEaBIKE is the big daddy, top of the line, Bentley of the balance bike world...with the price tag to match, $300...yep, OUCH! I do love their aluminum frame KOKUA though weighing in at only 7.5 lbs. But at just under $300, I can't do it.
We first thought we'd get a Kettler Sprint. We have a Kettler trike and have been very pleased with it, but it's heavy. I was concerned about the weight of their balance bike since I think the weight of the bike will be a key to success...or could cause trouble. I never could find out the weight of the Kettler, but I talked to a the little boutique toy store owner in our neighborhood and she said the reason she didn't like the Kettler was because it is heavy. (She's been researching them for a year trying to find the right one.) But, the Sprint is only around $100.
I also found one called Strider. It's lightweight, has a metal frame, and looks good, but it is tiny. They actually advertise this one for kids as young as a year old (the others are made to start at 2 or 3.) If you have a petite child or are starting early, this might be a good option.
Then I went to a bike store and found the Specialized Hotwalk. I liked this one...aluminum, good looking, price isn't too bad, around $150. Unfortunately, the bike store only had one pink one left because they had quit carrying the brand. He referred me to another bike shop that I need to go visit.
What I'm leaning towards is the Skuut. This is the one the local toy store carries. Sam got on it today and he managed it well. It's lightweight and a good size for him to be able to reach the ground and walk or run it. And it's only $100! My only hesitation is that it's wooden. I'm totally in love with the wood look, but I worry about the durability. I mean, this IS for a rambunctious three year old boy. I'm sure it will be wrecked, thrown down, jumped on, and generally mistreated. It's got to hold up to all that. And I worry about the wood warping, as most wood does when exposed to outdoor elements. I won't make it a habit to leave it out to be rained on, but it could happen, and it will live in the garage. I want it to last until our next little guy needs it.
There are also a number of off-brand options. With things like this, though, I tend to spend a little more money for quality...I need it to make it through two boys!

I can't wait to give Sam his bike and watch him take off! Will post pictures in a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, thanks for all the links! I have seen the Like a Bike too and thought it was neat, but could not imagine paying that price. Good to know there are lots of other options out there.

Oh and I vote on just getting the swingset you want, btw :)

Charity said...

Great minds think alike...This is also what we got Ryan for his birthday. We got the Micro G bike though. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/NA-GB0001-Micro-G-Bike/dp/B000YHWCZK

Can wait to see them riding!!