We ventured out in the winter weather to go to the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo today. The trip had been planned for a week, only after our first attempt was cancelled because Sam was sick. Unfortunately, when I bought our tickets, we had no idea we were going to get several inches of snow the night before going and, sadly, the rides were all closed.
It was quite an adventure getting to the rodeo though. We had planned to take the train, but the trains were not running on schedule, so we couldn't be sure we would make our transfer downtown...so, we drove, in the blizzard!...just to downtown to catch the train to Fort Worth, but still, nerve-racking! I was very grateful for John's four wheel drive truck and off road tires. And then, because the train was late arriving in Fort Worth, we missed the shuttle and had to take a cab...in the blizzard!...scary!...I was wishing for four wheel drive and off road tires!
It was a fun day, a long day...we left the house at 10:00 am and got back home at 7:30 pm...but Sam enjoyed the rodeo, and the train ride. The best part, for us, was the train ride to Fort Worth. After Sam called "ALL ABOARD" to everyone as we were getting on the train in Dallas, he then announced our departure at each stop, "EVERYONE PLEASE FIND YOUR SEAT, THIS TRAIN IS ABOUT TO MOVE!" He also serenaded us (and the rest of the people sitting around us) with a little, "City of New Orleans".
Due to the fact that it was so cold outside, I failed to get any pictures of us trudging through the snow at the stock show...HUGE fail on my part! I guess I was just trying to get from building to building as quickly as possible so I didn't freeze to death or lose my toes! And, due to the fact that I only took one camera lens, I didn't get any good pictures during the rodeo...another HUGE fail! Lesson learned, I guess.
At dinner Sam told us the best part of the day for him was the rodeo and the train ride, particularly the bull riding at the rodeo. It was quite good this time...better than last year...because the clowns did a great job antagonizing the bulls. Sam even told us on the way home the he wants to be a bull rider when he grows up...I changed the subject!
And the best near-disaster, was us almost missing the trolley back to the train station from the stock show and my decision to chase it...oh yes, I did...in the ice and snow...running, hollering, waving my arms. But, with the help of a police officer in his car behind me who was probably praying that I didn't fall and require him to get out of his warm vehicle, and a nice pedestrian up ahead of me who heard the police officer buzzing from his car and announcing on his intercom/radio, "STOP THAT TROLLEY!"...oh yes, he did...we made the trolley. *smile*
And, yes, while this is supposed to be about our trip to the stock show, I only did a good job taking pictures in the warmth of a vehicle...see "HUGE fails" above. I have been doing such a poor job of photo-documenting!
 |
| our yard and the road in front of our house |
 |
| our street |
 |
| the main road off our street |
 |
grocery store parking lot
|
 |
Sam, trying to stay warm at the train station
|
 |
| our train |
 |
| Sam waving to cars |
 |
| Cowboys stadium, off in the distance, Super Bowl Week 2011 |
 |
on the trolley back to the train station
|
 |
Sam, on the train, watching the diesel engine next to us
about to depart the station going the opposite direction |
No comments:
Post a Comment