THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Honesty


So I sat down to blog about this because I'm SICK over it and it's ruining my afternoon...I thought that venting my frustration on the computer might help me let go of it, but I'm not sure. And I thought the stress with my little accident has been bad, until I read my friend Rachael's blog...I think her story wins, but still allow me to vent...
So, the week before Christmas I was going to Sam's new dentist's office to pick up paperwork to fill out...never been there, driving around trying to figure out where to park, see parking garage entrance, try to enter...the garage entrance sign drags all the way down the top of our new truck (luckily we have a luggage rack). I put the car in park (yes, blocking the entrance, but there's another entrance) , got out to look at the sign and did not see where it was marked "Clearance 6'3" "...who knows how tall their car is anyway, right? (I do now!) I call mom, who's in front of a computer, and she finds the phone number for one of the business inside the building. I call the business and they call security to have them meet me at the garage entrance. I get out and start snapping pictures (ALWAYS carry a camera in your car!...I've put it to good use numerous times). Security shows up and points out the "Clearance" on the sign...geez, I feel like an idiot. She tells me if I just enter under the other sign (that's 7' high), I can cross lanes (like all the other cars are doing to get around me) and park in the garage I need to be in (there was another worker there who heard her tell me this)...I explain the confusing markings on the two signs but I'll spare you having to hear the details of that conversation...just me being very "type A". Okay, so I proceed into the parking garage, upset that I just damaged the car...oh, but not for long! I then hit a steel I-beam...again, it scrapes down the top of the car...and this time I might be stuck under it. Put the car in park, go running back down the driveway in the garage, holler for the security guard to come back, point out that THIS LOW CLEARANCE IS NOT MARKED! (later learn that the 6'3" clearance was for the whole garage she told I could park in). So the discussion begins...now what?...stuck or not stuck?...do we need tools to remove the luggage rack to get me out of here? I finally decide, I'll just back up...I'll just scrape the luggage rack AGAIN! Thankfully, I got out okay. So I then park the car where there are now 5 or 6 employees/security guards (one of which is the building manager) who have come to see what all the commotion is about. And now I'm %^&*$# off! The security guard gets nervous and starts trying to back peddle (a few of her bosses are standing there), however she never lied or denied telling me I could park in that garage and finally tells her bosses that she did in fact tell I could go into that garage. I have a conversation with the manager who tells me they will take care of it and to get and estimate and call her. Well, I got that estimate 2 days later, hand-delivered it to her the next day...I've now called her 4 times, sent one email, and she hasn't called me. So, here I sit...I'm SICK over this and worried she's going to try to change her story (why else is she not calling me back?)...yes, I have witnesses and names of three of them, but they all work for her! Okay, so you're thinking I should just call my insurance company and let them take car of it...not so fast! In the last two years I've not been so lucky on the road and it might affect our premiums and/or coverage...I was rear-ended in a hit and run (claim #1)...then was hit by a girl who (after we made a claim) lied and said I hit her (claim #2)...then I hit a parked car while pulling into a parking spot, I left my information and wanted to pay them the $200 for repairs ourselves, but they called and made a claim anyway (claim #3)...and now my fear is that I'll claim it on our insurance, pay the deductible (in hopes of getting it back), let them investigate it, and then all these people may lie about what happened. Yes, we could just pay to have it fixed ourselves (it's only going to cost $134 over our deductible amount)...BUT IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE MATTER! It frustrates me (as an honest, "do the right thing", person) that I'm constantly dealing with dishonest people! Have people no conscience? No regard for right and wrong? I hope that as a mom, this is one thing I can successfully teach my child(ren)...honesty...and the importance of doing the right thing, and how your own choices can affect someone else.
So I know there must be a lesson to be learned here...I just can't yet see past my own anger and emotions to know what that lesson is yet.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Jen-that TOTALLY sucks! they better call you back! and yes, by reading my blog, you know I am sick sitting here in my house listening to fans hum my child to sleep. ugh, life sometimes...