THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New York



So I'm planning our BIG family vacation for 2008...I actually started planning a few months ago but it's been hard getting things reserved due to the fact that most places don't book more than a year in advance. Since I was young, I've watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV each year and I've always wanted to attend the parade. And that's what we're doing for Thanksgiving this year. John's family and the three of us are going to spend 8 days in NYC around Thanksgiving. My family is also going to meet us there. First thing, secure hotel rooms. I first called the Park Central Hotel where John and I stayed a couple of years ago...we liked the hotel, loved the location and payed around $200 a night for the room (a very good price in NY). Well...since they've done renovations and we'll be there during a holiday, they wanted $600 a room!...we need 2 rooms, 7 nights...you do the math. Wasn't happening! (John and I could take a nice European vacation for what that would cost!) So I began looking into vacation rentals (apartments/condos/town homes) on VRBO & Manhattan Lodgings...I'm still making calls and sending emails, but I'm excited about the idea of us staying together in one place and having a kitchen. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER IDEAS, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT WITH INFORMATION! The second most important thing was getting our Thanksgiving dinner reservations made. I decided we'd go non-traditional and have a NY/Italian Thanksgiving Dinner...Carmines!...great food, great atmosphere, and famous in NY. I started calling at the beginning of December but got the run around...not taking reservations yet (even though they book a year in advance), the computer system has to be reprogrammed since they take different reservations on Thanksgiving, yada, yada, yada...Until yesterday! Success! Finally!...we have a dinner reservations at Carmines! (Unfortunately since we're a large party, they would only take us at certain times, not the time I wanted, but I'll get over it...we have our reservations!) And third, shows! Once I find a place for us to stay, we'll start looking into theater tickets.
I'm relieved that it's coming together because I was quite discouraged after making the first call and being told $600/night x 2 rooms!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
It has also been my dream to spend Thanksgiving in NY some year. When I went a few summmers back, EVERYONE there told me it's the MOST expensive time to come. SO I guess the $600 room thing pretty much confirms that! I'm sure you'll find something perfect, and it will be great fun for all. Keep your contacts for me, so I can use them when I get the courage to take all my kids!
Rachel