THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, June 30, 2008

Getting Crafty

I am truly inspired by other fabulous, creative, crafty moms. This bean bag chair is an example of this. After reading (most of) The Creative Family, then seeing a picture of my friend Rachel's daughter on a bean bag she made, regularly reading The Artful Parent blog, and trying to keep up with my friend Kristen's crafts...I decided to dust off the sewing machine (that my mom had serviced and gave me over 3 years ago), buy a pattern (which I've never done), and make a bean bag for Sam. I have used a sewing machine before, but you'd never hear me say that I know how to sew. I used to use my mom's sewing machine to make scrunchies back in junior high...I didn't consider that "being able to sew" though. Here it is...Sam's bean bag...my first time using a pattern to sew...and I'm now able to say, "I can sew!" One of the best parts about taking on this project (aside from Sam LOVING his bean bag) is that I was able to call a friend, who previously asked me if my mother-in-law could sew some simple stuff together for her, and I told her that I could do it.
(no, I didn't do the embroidery)

4 comments:

Rachael said...

ok, how much and when do we place our orders with you???? :)
we have that same book, Drew loves it!

Anonymous said...

Love it! You did a fantastic job! What did you end up stuffing it with?

Jen said...

Thanks! I stuffed it with shredded foam...got it from hobby lobby.

GreenStyleMom said...

I am really, really impressed! We just got a sewing corner set up for me in our guest room. I haven't been sewing much because it is too much to get out. Can't wait to find some time.

And I lost all connection to the world after talking to you on Tuesday morning. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to call or write. I might try this afternoon to see if you are around.