So, you might be looking at this and thinking...oooh...that doesn't look very good...or, that doctor didn't do a very good job...Well, let me share the story of the week with a "busted nugget", as Sam calls it.
Stitches went in on Sunday. By Tuesday I noticed two of the stitches on one end were loose (only 36 hours after he got the stitches). I thought it was probably from swelling going down and they just weren't tight anymore. I checked with John and he said if it wasn't gapping open, it was probably okay. By Tuesday evening one of the two loose stitches was completely gone (only 48 hours post stitches)...like it had fallen out...or perhaps had been helped out by some little fingers. (Although I really didn't see him messing with it much, he may have been in bed.) I called the plastic surgeon's office on Wednesday morning and they said it should be fine until our scheduled appointment the next morning, and they had me put a band aid on it to protect it from the bumps (and fingers) of a two year old. Thursday morning the stitches were removed and a steri-strip was neatly placed on top of the cut "so it could continue healing". Within two hours little fingers had removed the steri-strip and during nap time that day little fingers also tore the scab off the healing wound. And what do you do about it...yep, nothing...except come to terms with the scar that will mark my baby's forehead. (John still says, "Oh it won't look that bad."...I hope he's right.)
But wait!...that's not all...Saturday we were out shopping for a freezer (which involves another story I failed to share last week...I will soon) and Sam fell and hit his head in. the. same. place! on a chair at Sears. I mean really, what are the chances? (John thinks he might be going through a growth spurt because he's been so clumsy lately.) It did start bleeding, but not much...just from one edge. But that's why it's so purple in this picture...that happened when he hit it yesterday afternoon. I'm grateful it didn't open all the way up. It stopped bleeding rather quickly, but then started bleeding again during his bath later. The skin is just so soft and thin right now.
And I hope this is the end of the story, but who knows. I will update if it continues.
1 comment:
John is right. It won't look that bad. Plus, scars are sexy, right? That's what I heard from everyone for a month before Luke's cleft lip surgery! So, just think of it that way...scars are sexy! HA! :)
He's precious...scars and all!
Post a Comment