Yesterday afternoon we made our first trip to the ER with Sam...with the way this boy plays I'm surprised we made it 26 months without one, and I'm sure it won't be the last trip.Here he is with his most pitiful sad eyes and his 6 stitches. There's one inside so you will only see five if you look closely.
It was 4:30, I was starting dinner, John was driving home from deer hunting, and John's parents and sister were with Sam and me, visiting. I hear 'The Scream'...you moms know the one...the really hurt scream where you run to them instead of finishing what you're doing as they come to have you kiss their boo-boo. Gramps had already swept him up when I got to him. Sam was apparently spinning around, lost his balance and fell and hit his head on a wooden trunk in the living room. When I saw the damage, I knew immediately that we were making a trip to the hospital. Not a ton of blood but it was wiiide open.
And then the chaos began...
Get a rag, need shoes, call John to find out where to go, install the car seat in Gramps and Gran's car (because John had taken the truck for the weekend and I had been just riding around with my dad), get water, grab a snack, out the door...oops, where are the keys?...oh, here they are...did I lock the door?...back inside, get some books and a toy...in the car, ready to go. At which point, by the way, Sam was totally calm and thought we were going to Gran's house!...Oh no, baby, not going to Gran's house, but how about daddy's work? Does that sound fun? It worked! Okay, so where too?...no one knows, hadn't heard back from John yet...call John...he's still trying to make phone calls...start driving to his hospital because it's the most likely option...Yes!...Made the right decision...John calls back with an affirmative on his hospital. Everything went very quickly when we arrived...checked in, triage, upstairs, see the nurse...not bad, I'm thinking. Although I did feel like I was on the witness stand in court briefly while in triage.
"So, tell me, why are you here today?"
I chuckle, "Uh, he has a cut on his head."
"Uh hmm...Can you tell me how that happened?"
"Well...I didn't see him, but they told me he fell and hit his head on a wooden trunk in the living room." (I didn't know spinning was involved at this time, so I inadvertently left out that detail...sure hope that doesn't matter.)
"Oh, I see."
We ended up waiting probably an hour and half once we got to the room. And then we had to decide if we needed a plastic surgeon, so that took some time. But Sam did unbelievably well waiting. He talked to everyone, wasn't scared of all the people, and was entertained by his books, toys, football on TV, and the colors they brought him.
But once it was time to sew him up, it wasn't pretty. They had to wrap him in a sheet like a burrito and then it took 3 of us to hold him down. I did well until he started crying "Mommy help you!" or "Mommy hold you!" (They sound so similar, I couldn't tell which he was saying.) And then I had to look away and had the little chin quiver going. It's all sort of a blur, but we survived and we treated Sam to his special request of pancakes after we left the hospital. Sam didn't get to bed until 9:00, two hours past his bedtime and a full hour later that he's EVER stayed up. He was such a trooper though and went right to sleep when I put him down. But, he woke up early at 6:45 this morning!
So Thursday we see the plastic surgeon to have the stitches removed and steri-strips put on.
2 comments:
Poor guy! It's a good thing you stayed calm since it seemed to rub off on Sam!
omg, i am just waiting for our day. That is two of drew's buddies that have gotten stitches now :(
Post a Comment