THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, November 17, 2008

Spinning

Do you ever feel like your just spinning your wheels but not getting anywhere? That's how I've been feeling for a while. I have a list of things I'd like to get done around the house, but the need-to-dos always come first, and those are never ending. So my 'would-like-to-do' list just keeps getting longer and then I get so overwhelmed with it that when I have some extra time on my hands I don't do any of it because I don't know where to start or even think I can make a dent in it, so what's the point. (Although this method of procrastination has allowed me to open another book I've been wanting to read...never mind the three I'm in the middle of that I haven't finished.)
Each week, I manage to get the grocery shopping done, get the laundry done, get Sam and me to his scheduled activities, get the dishes done daily, vacuum once or twice (a week...nooooo...not a day, Ha!, I wish), pay the bills, get dinner made each night, and that's it I guess. And being able to stay home you'd think, I'd think, I would have all the time in the world to get everything done that my little heart desires...but, I don't, and I don't. know. why. I'd like be able to really, really clean my house every week (like toilets, and windows, and bathtubs, and dust...) without doing a quick, crappy job. I'd also like to clean the baseboards and the window sills and the blinds and the ceiling fans and the light fixtures... I'd also like to get the office back in order...clean off the desk, file everything (my 'pile to file' has become a 'crate to file'), organize computer cords, and clean out files. I'd also like to get all my photos edited and get pictures of Sam printed and put in photo albums (I've only done this for his first 6 months), and I'd like to be able to work on, and maybe finish, his baby book. I also have a list of security items that need to be installed on our doors and windows and outside the house. (The City of Dallas has great free service where a police officer will come out to your home and do a security survey to tell you how to make your home safer and less of a target for break-ins and burglaries...I did this, now I just need to get the stuff done). I'd also like to get my drawers and closets cleaned out and would like to organize our two junk drawers. I'd also like to organize my magazines, file articles and ideas I want to keep and throw out the rest, and I'd like to reorganize my recipe binder. And I'd like to speed read (and remember what I've read) the pile of 10 or so books on my nightstand. And I really want to take a self-defense class. And on top of all that, I'd like to plan more meaningful activities for Sam on a regular basis.
Oh my gosh, if I could get aaallllll this done, I'd feel so free! Maybe making this list, actually writing it down and making it official, will motivate me to start getting things done. We'll see.
I will say that I got one important thing done last weekend...I cleaned up my computer a little and moved all my important files to my external hard drive. Although it sort of jumped from the' would like to do' list to the 'need to do' list when my computer started acting up and acting like it might crash...it's getting very, very full!...but, hey, I got it done.
Oh, and aren't the holidays coming?...which for us will involve two trips and family in town...hmmm...the 'would like to do' list may not get shorter any time soon...New Year's Resolutions perhaps?

5 comments:

GreenStyleMom said...

oh I know EXACTLY what you mean! Our move plus vacation has put me over the edge of no return. Thus why I am horrible at responding to emails and our project seems to be stalled indefinitely! LOL

Don't you wonder what you did with all your time pre-kids?

Maybe when the kids go to college...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, it is like you are posting what it in my brain. I am SO with you...I get the day to day stuff done, so on the surface, it appears we are managing. We have clean clothes, the house isn't scary dirty, we aren't eating fast food for dinner. But the list of things to do beyond that gets longer and longer and I just can't seem to make a dent.

I am glad to hear you struggle too...not that I am glad you are struggling, but because all my "stay-at-home" fantasies center around me finally having the chance to feel like I am on top of things. It is a good reminder of reality...that we ALL struggle!

The Gecks said...

HAHAHAHA! I can only laugh, because I, too, am in the black hole of "to do's". I find the procrastination method particularly convenient. And then there is the escape method... where you don't do anything, and just go out for ritas with the other moms... where everyone tries to one-up their to do lists. One more laugh... HAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I felt that way when I had one, then two, now definitely that I have three. I don't figure it's going to change anytime soon, (particularly because I hope to have more kiddos), and so I've decided to figure out what God is teaching me through all this. I'll let you know when I find out! In the meanwhile, take time to enjoy your coffee, your precious boy, and the beauty of the season.

Rachael said...

OH my do I hear ya girl! I am a big "to doer" and I hate when my list gets looooonger and looonger! since having another baby my list is even longer, newborn photos, newborn hand/foot prints. first christmas ornaments, matching outfits with brother, baby announcements, ETC! oh yeah, and then take care of them both all day AND get the day to day stuff done, HA HA!!!!