THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Deer Hunting

I managed to forget to post about this very exciting event in our lives. John returned the afternoon that Sam busted his head open (...he was actually driving home when it happened and arrived just in time for our pancake dinner.)
John went deer hunting two weekends ago and he shot his first deer (I didn't figure you'd want to see a picture of a dead deer, so no photo on this one) and a hog. This was very exciting for him for obvious reasons...first deer, hunting, a weekend away. He's wanted to go hunting for a couple of years (since having Sam) because it's something he'd like to do with Sam in the future and be able to teach Sam. I equate it to a mom teaching her daughter to sew. My uncle has land in south central Texas, west of Austin and San Antonio, and John drove down to meet him to hunt his land for the first time this season. John's been bird hunting and deer hunting too, I think, but he'd never shot, or even shot at, a deer. He took his rifle that his dad bought him when he was about 12 years old (I think) and shot a doe and a hog. I'm excited, because we are going to have deer meat to eat! (The reason we were shopping for a freezer.) I love venison! I grew up eating it every year after my grandpa and uncles had gone hunting. It has been many, many years since I've had some and I am looking forward to it. We also learned that one of my favorite restaurants, Kuby's Sausage House, has a wild game processing center...that is, of course, where I took John's deer and hog and is even more exciting. (And what an experience that was...dropping the meat off at a processing center. My uncle cleaned and quartered John's animals before he brought them home, so it was all on ice in ice chests. But not everyone else does it that way. People were bringing in everything from meat on ice to whole animals. It was quite a sight.) So, in a couple of weeks we will have breakfast sausage, jalapeno/cheese hot links, jalapeno/cheese salami, smoked links, venison jerky, tamales, italian sausage, chorizo and bacon all from John's deer and hog. You see now why I'm excited...are you hungry yet?
Unfortunately, now John is spending more time looking for a ranch than a house for us! Yes, it would be nice to have both, but come on, first things first buddy!

No comments: