AM underwear count: 7, or maybe it was 8...seriously, I lost count (I started thinking that the 12 I have weren't going to get us through the day.)
PM underwear count: 3
successful trips to the potty: NOT 1 until 11:30 AM!!!!
alarm intervals: 5 minutes-30 minutes
It really took everything I had not to grab a diaper this morning. If it weren't for my friend Jessica who told me "the first couple of days were great and then it seemed to fall apart", I really would have. I feel like an alcoholic trying to stay away from the bottle, or a dieter trying to stay away from sweets. I really think if the diapers weren't even in the house, it wouldn't be so tempting. But, we're still using them for sleeping.
Good signs today:
-We had our first big pee that came squirting out and dripping down the leg...we were outside (conveniently) and it made Sam cry. I was glad to see that it actually bothered him because I wondered if it might not.
-I found Sam sitting on the potty, having put himself there, after hearing the alarm I had set. I was in the laundry room when it went off and walked out to find him on the potty...not that he did anything (this was before 11:30), but he got there! He calls the alarm, I set on my phone, the "potty dance"...He definitely continues to fit Dr. Stavinoha's "impulsive child" personality...the timer is key for us.
-He stopped his pee...went a little in his underwear and then got to the potty for the rest. This was at 11:30, and a much needed (for me) success at the time.
Going through so many pair of underwear this morning was discouraging (for me), but Sam seems to be okay with it. Our biggest battle today was that he's lost the desire to sit and wait for extended periods of time, like he used to. (I'm sure the fact that we're asking him to go so often is a bit of a deterrent.) Now he sits for 30 seconds and says , "no pee pee, all done" and hops up to go back to playing. This was fixed with some books and his music player, but still, a challenge. I'm still trying to find that just-right time interval for him to be able to have success with most of his trips to the potty without wetting his underwear in between. This is exhausting!
And tomorrow, our first outing! I'll be packing gallon ziploc bags with changes of clothes to take with us (a suggestion from my friend Jessica)...the little potty is in the back of the car...towels to sit on, towels for clean ups, and more towels...hmm, anything else?
I hope the rest of you are enjoying these daily progress reports, and laughing a little along the way. It's beneficial for me to actually write it down so I see that we are actually making progress...when there are wet underwear 5 minutes after getting off the potty, it's hard to find the word progress...I'm enjoying documenting it anyway. But, I also hope it's helpful to someone who goes through this after me. Not sure how long the daily updates will last, but they're a little therapeutic for me at this point.
3 comments:
I can't believe you're taking him out on day 3! I hope you packed plastic pants. I stayed home for 5 days, then went to church. Then I was home for another 3 days before I braved an actual outing. Don't be discouraged by all the wet pants. I went through a BAZILLION underwear- I was having to wash them and reuse them the same day! Also, we did the timer bit too. I found the same as you- it really got old for the child. I had to quit the timer (still taking them occasionally at obvious times) and just let them wet themselves. My girls were bothered enough that eventually they started telling me they needed to go. I don't know about boys- haven't trained mine yet!
We're just doing our normal activities...gym, music, play wisely (today, a 30 minute class)...all of which are at kid friendly places/preschools. I'm packing 3 bags of extra clothes and towels. When I get a chance I'll share about our unexpected event on Thursday...I just ordered dome plastic pants for that! What plastic pants do you recommend? I just ordered some that look like underwear from one step ahead.
keep the progress updates coming! i will need all the help i can get when we start!
Post a Comment