John and I really don't do much for Valentine's Day. Earlier this week, John said, "We're not getting each other anything for Valentine's Day, right?"...he was just making sure because I've been known to do surprise gifts (usually last minute, unplanned on my part)...I'll think of something he's been wanting and buy it. I guess I feel like a holiday gives me an excuse to do that. But, this year, I'm really NOT buying anything. John likes to call Valentine's Day a "Hallmark holiday"...a way for retailers to make extra money by charging exorbitant amounts of money for flowers and dinner. For me, eating dinner out on Valentine's Day has always meant paying more, crowds, waits, reservations a month in advance, and often a set menu...not exactly special. And I won't lie, I'd love to get some fabulous jewelry or a large (expensive b/c it's for Valentine's Day) bouquet of flowers, but it's not necessary for me to know I have a Valentine...John is my Valentine every day of the year, not just today. We do usually exchange cards. Last year I enjoyed making a valentine from Sam for daddy.
I will probably do the same today (hopefully John won't come home from work early). And John did get a card for me from Sam (this year)...I only know this because last night John said to me, "I guess you saw your card..." I really hadn't, but he thought I had. And he'd even been carrying a red marker in his pocket to try to get Sam alone and have him "sign" it...but, b/c of Sam's short nap yesterday he was pretty cranky last night. We did say Happy Valentine's Day this morning and we will continue our tradition of a Lobster Dinner at home tonight...Live Maine Lobsters that will be delivered today. (I'll probably let Sam play with them and will try to get some pictures to post later.) We started our Lobster Dinner tradition when we were dating and didn't want to do the whole Valentine's Day Dinner out. I like the idea that our kids will also be able to join us in what will become a "family tradition" in the future.In honor of St. Valentine, I'd like to share some things I LOVE...
I LOVE my family, I LOVE a quiet house when Sam is peacefully napping, I LOVE to hear Sam laugh and giggle and to see him run and play, I LOVE being a SAHM, I LOVE dinner and drinks on a sidewalk restaurant patio, I LOVE the Spring and Fall, I LOVE the mountains, I LOVE the ocean, I LOVE traveling, I LOVE dessert, I LOVE friends who understand busy lives, but still are there when you need them (because I'm terrible about "keeping in touch"), I LOVE to read about and research stuff, I LOVE making green changes in my life, I LOVE our live Maine Lobster Valentine's Day tradition, I LOVE being outside, I LOVE a quiet relaxing day at the spa, I LOVE food, I LOVE baking, I LOVE when John says, "No, I'll do that" (whatever it may be that he's doing so I won't have to)...hmmm, could I roll all this into one day somehow? Now that would be a great Valentine's Day!
I LOVE my family, I LOVE a quiet house when Sam is peacefully napping, I LOVE to hear Sam laugh and giggle and to see him run and play, I LOVE being a SAHM, I LOVE dinner and drinks on a sidewalk restaurant patio, I LOVE the Spring and Fall, I LOVE the mountains, I LOVE the ocean, I LOVE traveling, I LOVE dessert, I LOVE friends who understand busy lives, but still are there when you need them (because I'm terrible about "keeping in touch"), I LOVE to read about and research stuff, I LOVE making green changes in my life, I LOVE our live Maine Lobster Valentine's Day tradition, I LOVE being outside, I LOVE a quiet relaxing day at the spa, I LOVE food, I LOVE baking, I LOVE when John says, "No, I'll do that" (whatever it may be that he's doing so I won't have to)...hmmm, could I roll all this into one day somehow? Now that would be a great Valentine's Day!
Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. I hope it's a day filled with people and things you LOVE!...And if you're interested, The History Of Valentine's Day from History.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment