THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oh, we're getting a temper...

Sam is starting to learn how to throw a fit, real ones...it's quite a sight and a bit humerous (right now), although I make a point to not laugh at him (or at least not let him see me)...but, geez it's hard. If he's frustrated that he can't do something (like open a drawer or get something out to play with) or doesn't like that I've closed something up he shouldn't be playing in (like the dishwasher, cabinet with the dog bones) he lets out an angry grunt/yell and falls to the floor on his belly and slaps the floor with his hands. Often if there's a wall or cabinet nearby, he'll hit that before falling to the floor. This all lasts about 15-30 seconds before he's over it. John said the other day Sam tried to open the frig and got frustrated when he couldn't (because we had it locked), so he went to the nearest cabinet door, opened it and slammed it, before falling to the floor. I'm cracking up even typing this and thinking about it...is that horrible?
I've read recently that it's important to allow children to experience these feelings and to also express these feelings, but I'm wondering at what point to draw the line because of inappropriate expression of these feelings?(and how?)...the most obvious way being taking out frustration physically on another person. We're not there yet, but it could just be a matter of time before we have a "Rocky" moment like my friend Beth did recently.
(And I realize Sam's still very young, but I like to have a plan in place for what is to come.)

Any thoughts from the more experienced out there? Good reading material or resources?...as we two "newbies" venture into more uncharted territory.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

lol, I was laughing reading this too. Drew has started to do the same thing and it IS hard not to let them see you laugh! I want to validate his feelings and let him know that I understand he is upset, but most times I have to turn around to laugh! it is just funny seeing a 16 month old throw such a fit!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny...we are in our terrible two's early over here too! It is so hard not to crack up when Gabby throws herself on the floor like her life is ruined because I won't give her something (like the scissors). I wonder- who taught her how to do that?