Sam, until this point in his preschool life (like a whole year!), has lacked interest in drawing. I used to be good about getting crayons or pencils or markers out on a regular basis for him to write/color/draw, general scribbling. (I read, loved, and highly recommend the book Young at Art by Susan Striker.) But, since Sam really lacks interest in this, I've not pushed it...and truth be told, part of that is probably because I've not made the time for it to a part of our day. Art every day is my goal this summer, even if it's just a 3 minute scribble session.
Somewhere around the last week of school, something changed. His drawings have changed from scribbles to semi-recognizable representations of objects, and his interest has changed.
Sam's teacher had the kids (who couldn't already write their names) tracing their names at the end of the school year and he came home very proud to have 'written' his name. It's now at the top of his cubby/space in our mudroom...
Also around that time I found a chalk drawing on the patio unlike any of the scribbles I'd seen Sam produce in the past...(if I remember correctly, this is a bus)
And last week, he drew a train with a marker on paper...(complete with couplers, a smoke stack, smoke, and arms on the wheels)
And he drew a snail...
And now, he asks for materials to draw. I'm excited because I've been worried that he was behind in this fine motor area. Coincidentally, I had signed him up for art camp this summer, which he did this week at a local art school...we're trying it out because I'd like it to be a weekly activity during the school year.





1 comment:
I feel like over the past couple months D's drawings have really taken on so much more detail too. Drawing whales, snails (funny they both drew a snail)people with legs/arms/hands/feet and somewhat recongnizable.
any great art painting ideas? we paint for father's day (hand prints, finger painting) but I have not come up with a good idea for this year yet!
Post a Comment