After coming home from swim lessons last week, our neighbor had a friend over who was being picked up by his mom and older (5ish) sister. Sam stared at her, wanted to know her name, talked with her, and only her, and invited her over to play. I'm not sure how many times following that meeting that I heard Sam say she was coming over...
"But mom, she said she would come over and play with me."
"Honey, I know she told you that but I don't think she asked her mom first."
"Well, can we go play at her house?"
(I don't know them...met them once.)
Last week in music (we started a new session on a new day and a new time) Sam honed in on one little girl almost as soon as she walked in the door. He first stared at her for a while...actually, he was entranced...then he asked his teacher what the girl's name was...then he took her hand and walked around the class with her (and would not let go of her hand)...he comforted her when she started crying because she had to put something away. Her mom said, "I guess I need to tell her father to get the dowry ready." It was hilarious, adorable, and frightening all at once. And everyone else was entertained by the lovebirds as well. At one point Sam was swinging on the edge of a table asking if she thought it was funny, and then he had her sit under the table with him...the teacher said he was probably telling her that was their house. Sam was also showing off by pretending he was throwing a baseball...he's been working on perfecting his wind-up. After playing, Sam lied down in the middle of the floor and had her lie down next to him. When I told John the story, he said the other moms were probably wondering what our child had been watching on TV...he actually doesn't even watch much TV. Seriously though...where/how do they learn this stuff? They spent almost the entire class holding hands until Sam started trying to tell her secrets and teach her how to climb the cubbies in the room. Momma had to step in and teach him about personal space and not teaching the younger kids how to do things that could hurt them. Crazy!

No comments:
Post a Comment