THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK YOU AND I WILL EVER DO WILL BE WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR HOME. -Harold B. Lee

Monday, October 27, 2008

Writing ABCs

Over the weekend I found Sam hunched over his table, with a crayon in hand, drawing on his paper. It was very unusual though because he was so focused on his paper and, I could tell, was making very deliberate, careful markings on his paper...not the usual full arm motion scribble across the entire paper. When I asked him what he was drawing, he said, "writing ABCs". Oh, okay! When I looked at his paper I saw that he was making little marks where he was "writing ABCs". It was very interesting to see this type of "writing" from him because it was very unlike his typical loops and long line scribbles and much more like the short markings that make up letters...sort of a drawing milestone. He's been very intrigued by my writing lately...when I'm sitting down making a grocery list, or signing a receipt at the store. He has identified the fact that I'm writing letters and says, "writing ABCs".






Do you see the little dark markings, to the left of the dark crayon? Those are the ABCs.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

so funny...we gave Drew a mini doodle board for when he came to the hospital and he has been making much smaller, more deliberate lines too. I think since the "pen" on it is smaller it is easier for his little hand to hold too. I have been amazed at the little "details" he has been drawing lately

Anonymous said...

What a little smartie. I love the first picture...you can totally tell how hard he is concentrating!